HOUSTON - A third Houston ISD elementary school teacher has been arrested and charged with indecency with a child in a matter of days.
HISD identified him as 74-year-old substitute teacher Qamrul Haque.
According to court documents, a 9-year-old student at Cunningham Elementary raised her hand and asked Haque to help her spell a word.
The student reported that Haque stood behind her and pushed his stomach on her back leaning forward. The student then told officials that she tried to push him back, but Haque placed his hands on her shoulder and moved them down to touch her breast.
The news comes after two other HISD elementary school teachers were charged with inappropriately touching students within the last week.
James Bradley, 39, was arrested at Lockhart Elementary School Monday, accused of molesting a five-year-old girl at Foster Elementary School in February 2020.
Raymon Williams, 46, allegedly touched a 10-year-old girl at Kashmere Gardens Elementary School on the shoulders and between her legs. The victim told investigators this happened to her more than once and in view of other female students.
HISD released the following statement and background on the three accused teachers:
HISD is reviewing steps taken in each of the recent cases involving student allegations of inappropriate conduct. The district is examining its processes and protocols to ensure the educational environment remains a safe place for our students. In each of the recent cases, the district followed its existing protocol of immediately reassigning the accused staff member to home duty. Additional action followed when the district was able to substantiate allegations. HISD is cooperating with law enforcement authorities to facilitate the judicial process in these cases. Protecting the well-being of our students is the top priority for HISD.
REGARDING THE ARREST OF JAMES BRADLEY, Lockhart Elementary School teacher:
- Mr. Bradley has been with HISD since 2006 in the capacity of pre-kindergarten and kindergarten teacher.
- In January 2019, a parent from Foster Elementary School came forward and notified the administration at Foster Elementary School that her child reported to her that a teacher at the school inappropriately touched her child.
- HISD immediately re-assigned the teacher to home duty, pending the outcome of an investigation.
- The teacher remained on home duty through the end of the 2018-2019 school year.
- The HISD internal investigation was unable to substantiate the allegations, and the teacher was assigned to another campus for the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year.
- After reviewing the information this school year, HISD Police Department contacted the Harris County District Attorney’s Office, who, after reviewing the information, accepted charges of Indecency with a Child.
- The teacher was taken into custody on February 17 by the HISD Police Department.
REGARDING THE ARREST OF RAYMON WILLIAMS, Kashmere Gardens Elementary School Teacher
- Mr. Williams was a teacher at Kashmere Gardens Elementary School during the 2018-2019 school year, and an employee of HISD since 2012.
- In January 2019 multiple students reported to the administration that Mr. Williams engaged in inappropriate touching.
- The teacher was immediately reassigned to home duty.
- Mr. Williams never returned to the classroom. He is no longer employed by the district.
REGARDING THE ARREST OF QAMRUL HAQUE at Cunningham Elementary School
- Mr. Haque was employed as a teacher with HISD last school year
- Mr. Haque was employed as a substitute teacher at Cunningham Elementary School. He had been employed with the district since 1991.
- In January of 2019 multiple students reported to campus staff that Mr. Haque engaged in inappropriate touching, and other misconduct with students.
The teacher was removed from the campus immediately and exited from the HISD substitute pool following the completion of the district’s investigation.