HOUSTON - "I tried to drink myself to death," admits Houston's beloved Tim Miller. "God said I'm not ready for you just yet," he recalled, sharing the pain of his daughter's disappearance while speaking at the 9th annual Houston Missing Persons Day gathering.
Tim Miller has since gone on to found Texas EquuSearch. He explained how he derailed his successful business career to dedicate his life to a volunteer organization that helps families look for their missing loved ones. He is well known by the many families in attendance on Saturday.
This event was created and hosted by Jo Ann Lowitzer, whose daughter disappeared 11 years ago from Spring, Texas. She invites families of the missing to take the mic and share their story in a room of people who know their pain.
In attendance were detectives from the Houston Police Department's missing person unit. They explained that their eleven detectives are responsible for around 10,000 cases per year.
Houston Police Department encouraged all families to then update their loved ones' profile on NAMUS.com, a national database where law enforcement agencies can cross-check information on cases if they were to find someone who they believe has been missing.
Below you can learn more about the cases represented at this year's event:
- Kevin Ray Boney - Last seen in Houston, April 2007, at a movie theater on FM 1960. Click for more details.
- Alexandria Lowitzer - Last seen in Spring, April 2010. Click to watch our profile on Ali's story here.
- Roberto Franco Jr - Last seen in Pasadena, July 2017. Click for more details.
- Joshua Davis - Last seen in New Braunfels, February 2011. Click for more details.
- Kristen Galvan - Last seen in Spring, January 2020. Click to watch our profile on Kristen's story here.
- Kyle Rugg - Last seen near Lake Livingston, March 2015. Click to learn more.
- Lopaz Richardson - Last seen in Rosenberg, July 2021. Click to learn more.
- Jared Chavis - Last seen on Westheimer Road in Houston, January 2018. Click to learn more.
- Jacob Paddock-Weeks - Last seen in Denver, Colorado, February 2019. Click to learn more.
- Pauline Diaz - Last seen leaving work at HEB in San Antonio, 2010. Click to learn more.
- Mariano Medina-Funes - Last seen in Pasadena, January 2019. Click to watch our profile on Mariano's story
The Missing is a series on The NewsEdge at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. on FOX 26 Houston. FOX 26 has officially partnered with the Texas Center for the Missing to profile local missing person cases in hopes of bringing more of our neighbors home. If your loved one is missing, reach out to the Texas Center for the Missing, and mention FOX 26 to learn how your story could become part of our series.