Mother of Santa Fe shooting victim talks to FOX 26 after new call for competency review of admitted shooter

A Galveston County judge has assigned an independent examiner to review the admitted Santa Fe High School shooter's competency to stand trial.

The admitted shooter remains in custody at North Texas State Hospital and has been repeatedly deemed incompetent to stand trial upon evaluation each year.

PREVIOUS: Judge to hold conference Friday on shooter's competency for trial

At a hearing Friday, the judge ordered that a "disinterest expert experienced and qualified in mental health" examine his competency to stand trial and submit a report in 30 days.

For years the families of the victims of the 2018 Santa Fe school shooting have waited for justice as the confessed shooter continues to be deemed incompetent to stand trial for his alleged actions. Eight students and two teachers were killed, and 13 others were injured in the shooting on May 18, 2018.

"We're coming up on five years. We're like okay we're sick of this," said Rhonda Hart, mother of Kimberly Vaughan, a student who was killed in the shooting. "Cut the crap, let's just get to it."

Psychiatrist doctor Joseph Penn has already been appointed to conduct the evaluation, and he will have 30 days to do so.

However, it did come with strong opposition from the defense considering it was just last month the shooter was ordered another 12 months in North Texas hospital where he has remained for four years.

They asked Judge Jones why he was calling for this evaluation now wondering if there was a recent notable change.

RELATED: Confessed Santa Fe shooter remains incompetent to stand trial

"I asked the court to provide any information it might have, as the statute calls for, to suggest that something has changed. Unlike the court, we have reviewed the medical records, and there's no evidence that anything has changed," says Defense Attorney Nick Poehl.

Judge Jones also says he will consider moving the trial back to Galveston County after the venue was changed to Fort Bend in 2019.

The admitted shooter was not present in court.

According to court records, the next status conference will be on May 5.