(FOX NEWS) - The FBI revealed Friday that they received a tip last month that Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old accused of killing 17 people on Valentine's Day, had a gun, wanted to “kill people” and had the “potential of him conducting a school shooting.”
The FBI admitted it did not follow proper protocol as the information was not provided to the Miami field office and "no further investigation was conducted at the time."
“We are still investigating the facts. I am committed to getting to the bottom of what happened in this particular matter, as well as reviewing our processes for responding to information that we receive from the public. It’s up to all Americans to be vigilant, and when members of the public contact us with concerns, we must act properly and quickly," said FBI Director Christopher Wray.
Cruz had scores of run-ins with law enforcement dating back to 2010 -- with one report saying sheriff’s deputies responded to his home more than 35 times in just six years.
Broward County Sheriff’s deputies received at least 36 emergency 911 calls from 80th Terrace St., in Parkland – the suburban address where the teenager lived with his younger brother, Zachary, and their adoptive mother, Lynda, BuzzFeed reported.
The calls – dating as far back as 2010 and continuing until November 2016 – shed a light on two erratic and violent boys who repeatedly “threw items,” were “out of control” and fought with their mother and each other on an apparently regular basis.
"He is a deeply troubled young man; a child that has endured significant loss," Gordon Weekes, chief assistant for Broward County's public defender's office, told reporters Thursday. "He fell between the cracks and we have to try to save him now."
Read more on FoxNews.com