HOUSTON - As residents prepare for Hurricane Nicholas, the Houston Humane Society is urging pet owners to ensure they also keep their furry friends safe as well.
Nicholas is expected to make landfall Monday night, bringing several inches of rain and floods.
Here are some helpful tips the Humane Society shared:
- Bring Them Inside – Make room for your pets indoors. Set aside some blankets or towels for your pet to lay on. Crate pets or secure them in a room where they feel safe during the storm.
- Provide Safe & Dry Area – If unable to bring them inside, have the pet in a safe covered area on higher ground. Ensure all coverings are prepared to sustain high winds.
- Stock Up on Water, Food, and Medication – Ensure your pet has 2-week supply of food, water and necessary supplies.
- Register Your Pet’s Microchip – Keep information updated. This will help you be re-united with your pet if he/she becomes lost and is turned in to a shelter or vet clinic.
- Make a Plan and Have your Disaster Kit Ready – You want to be prepared if the storm impacts your area.