JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — The latest on the search for a U.S. cargo ship carrying 33 people that has been missing since it encountered high winds and heavy seas from Hurricane Joaquin. All times local:
The Coast Guard says a ship that went missing during a hurricane off the Bahamas sank, but the search continues for the 33 people on board.
Chief Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios says the Coast Guard and the ship's owner concluded Monday that the 790-foot container ship El Faro sank after encountering Hurricane Joaquin's high winds and heavy seas last week.
Rios says Coast Guard cutters and aircraft and a U.S. Navy plane continued searching the Atlantic Ocean for the missing crew. The ship's owners say it carried more than enough lifeboats and rafts for the crew.
Earlier, a container, pieces of another container and a life ring from the El Faro was recovered. An oil sheen also was spotted.
The Coast Guard is beginning its fifth day of searching near the Bahamas for a U.S. cargo ship carrying 33 people missing since it encountered Hurricane Joaquin.
Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer Bobby Nash said Monday that two cutters continued searching overnight for the 790-foot El Faro, and a C-130 aircraft was launched at dawn. Nash said a third cutter was on its way.
Searchers have found debris and clues but no definitive word on the fate of the vessel or those on board.
The vessel's owner said a container that appears to have come from the ship was found and a debris field was found that included what appeared to be pieces of container. Searchers also spotted an oil sheen and found a life ring from the El Faro.