HOUSTON - It's no question that small businesses are an essential and growing part of the economy. In the Houston area alone, nearly 97% of employers qualify as ‘small businesses,' so Harris County announced it's working to give back to those businesses in need.
County Judge Lina Hidalgo held a press conference Monday afternoon to discuss the start of the Harris County Small Business Relief Fund application period, where eligible companies can apply for grants between $5,000 and $25,000 until October 4, 2021.
Based on a press release, the county approved a $30 million relief fund to support small businesses recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic. The Small Business Relief Fund was established through funding from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) and administered by LiftFund, a nonprofit that supports small business owners through funds and education.
To qualify, you must meet the following criteria:
- Located within Harris County
- Registered as a business operating in Harris County
- Must have 30 or fewer employees (including part-time, contractors, and full-time employees and owners)
- In operation before April 2020
- Experienced negative impact on operations due to the pandemic
- Annual revenue of less than $500,000 dollars in 2019 and 2020
- Be in good standing with the Texas Comptroller’s office with no outstanding tax obligations or liabilities
To learn more and apply, click here.