Houston shooting: Suspect shot in officer-involved shooting in Southeast Houston

A suspect is in the hospital following an officer-involved shooting at Sunnyside Park on Saturday evening, police said. 

Authorities said the shooting occurred in the 8600 block of Comal Street in Southeast Houston around 6 p.m. 

SUGGESTED: Houston escaped inmate captured: Man found after manhunt; 2 others arrested

Houston Police Department Assistant Chief Megan Howard said officers responded to a shotspotter call where the equipment detected several rounds discharged in the park. 

Also, a citizen reported a man and provided a description of a possible suspect in the shooting. 

Authorities arrived and found the man in the parking lot of the park with a gun.

Police said the man exited the vehicle a distance away from the officers, and officers gave verbal commands "several" times for the man to drop the gun. 

At one point, authorities said the man raised his weapon and that's when two officers fired their weapons in fear of their lives. Also, at one point, the man also raised the gun up to the sky. 

The man, who appeared to be wounded, continued to not comply, according to police. And additional verbal commands were given to drop the gun. 

The man later laid down on the ground and the gun was on the ground. Officers then advanced attempting to put him in handcuffs. However, after a brief struggle, they were able to get the man into custody. 

FOX 26 Houston is now on the FOX LOCAL app available through Apple TV, Amazon FireTV, Roku, Google Android TV, Samsung TV, and Vizio!

Authorities said while the verbal commands were being given to the suspect, a large crowd was also at the park and officers had to deal with that group as well. 

At one point, one of the crowd members actually picked up the man's gun and verbal commands had to be given to that person to drop the gun. 

Officers also provided first aid to the suspect until paramedics arrived at the scene. The man, a Black male in his 30s, was taken to the hospital with a gunshot wound to the leg. He is said to be in stable condition and is expected to survive. 

The officers involved in the shooting will be placed on administrative duty pending the outcome of the investigation. 

Body camera video of the incident will be released by Houston police within the next 30 days.