Mother's Day breakfast that children can prepare
Image 1 of 4
HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Recipes provided by Elizabeth Stone, founder of Silver Stone Events
Blueberry Pecan French Toast Casserole
Serves 6 – 8
- 1 stick salted butter
- 6 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 slices bread, white, wheat or brioche
- 1 cup blueberries
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Butter a 2 quart glass or ceramic baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar until the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Stir in the half and half and vanilla.
- Dip the slices of bread into the mixture and lay in the baking dish.
- Place one layer of bread on the bottom of dish.
- Sprinkle with ½ of the blueberries, pecans and cinnamon.
- Top with the rest of the bread and sprinkle rest of blueberries, pecans and cinnamon.
- Pour any remaining liquid into the casserole dish.
- Let rest for 15 – 20 minutes. (can refrigerate overnight)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Bake casserole until the bread is golden brown and puffed and the custard filling is set.
- Bake approximately 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with powdered sugar and maple syrup.
Mini Cheesy Egg Muffins
Makes 8 medium muffins
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Pam Spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a muffin pan with Pam or any food release spray.
- Pour mixture into prepared muffin pan.
- Fill each cup about ¾ full.
- Bake for 12-to-15 minutes until egg mixture is set and is lightly browned.
- Remove from muffin tin and serve warm.
Serves 4 - 6
- 12 slices thick cut bacon
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place bacon on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake the bacon for 12-to-15 minutes until it starts to brown.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes until bacon is crispy.
- Serve warm.
Makes approximately 8 kabobs
- ½ cup cubed of each of the following fruits
- Watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe and pineapple
- 8 strawberries
- 8 6” wooden skewers
- Place one cube of each of the melons and pineapple on a skewer.
- Place a strawberry on the tip of the skewer.
- Serve chilled.