Chef Jason Hill, from the Luv Me Tenders restaurant, demonstrates how to prepare his popular Brussels sprouts with country ham and red eye gravy vinaigrette, a perfect accompaniment to his famous chicken tenders. Business partner Cyrus Nasr also brings attention to the gelato popsicles, made from local goat milk, available at the restaurant.
Brussels sprouts with country ham and red eye gravy vinaigrette
- 1 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup strong coffee or espresso (coffee adds depth of flavor to the vinaigrette)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup bacon drippings
Whisk all ingredients together. Set aside.
Preparing the Brussels sprouts
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, washed & bottoms trimmed.
- Cut sprouts in half.
- Blanch in salted boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Shock in ice water for 3 minutes.
- Blot dry.
- Deep fry in cooking oil at 350 degrees for 4 minutes.
- Put in bowl and toss with vinaigrette & enjoy!