HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Several road closures and security members will be in place in Houston on Wednesday and Thursday as services are held for former President George H.W. Bush.
President George H.W. Bush's casket will arrive in Houston at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday. The former president will then lie in repose at St. Martin's Episcopal Church in Houston from Wednesday evening to Thursday morning.
The public can pay their respects between 6 p.m. December 5 and 6 a.m. December 6. Those wishing to pay their respects must go to the Second Baptist Church (6400 Woodway Drive) first for parking and a security check. A shuttle will take people to St. Martin's Episcopal Church, located at 717 Sage Road. No one is allowed to drive to or walk to St. Martin's Episcopal Church. Please do not bring large bags, recording devices, weapons, aerosol sprays or any food and beverage.
A private funeral service will be held at St. Martin's Episcopal Church on Thursday morning. The funeral is by invitation only. A Union Pacific train will then transport President Bush to his final resting place in College Station.
Road closures will go into effect in the area beginning at 11 a.m. on Wednesday and reopen at approximately 1 p.m. on Thursday.
- Riverway Drive between Sage Road & South Post Oak Lane will be closed
- Sage Road between Tangle Lane & Woodway Drive will be closed.
- Woodway Drive between Chimney Rock Road & N Post Oak Lane will be closed.
- Traveling on Woodway between Chimney Rock and the 610 West Loop will be severely restricted. ONLY residents and business owners needing access into the area will be allowed beyond the road closures.
Houston police share the following security measures:
- All persons who wish to attend the public repose for President Bush MUST check in at the Second Baptist Church (6400 Woodway) for METRO bus shuttles and security screenings. No exceptions.
- METRO bus shuttles will begin loading at 4:45 p.m. on Wednesday with the first bus departure scheduled for 5:15 p.m. The final bus is scheduled to depart about 5:30 a.m. on Thursday.
- Walk-ups will not be permitted for the public repose on Wednesday or the funeral on Thursday.
- For all persons planning on attending the public repose on Wednesday, be aware that every person will be screened.
- Photography will not be allowed.
- No large bags or backpacks will be permitted.
- Weapons of any type will not be allowed.
- The funeral on Thursday will be a private and by invitation only.