LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - The parents of a 2-year-old Nebraska boy killed by an alligator at Walt Disney World say they are devastated by their son's death.
A statement by Matt and Melissa Graves of Omaha, Nebraska, says words can't express the shock and grief their family is experiencing. An animal described as being as long as seven feet snatched Lane Graves as he waded in shallow water Tuesday night.
Disney officials had already closed all of the beaches at their resorts following the incident. The measure to close the beaches was taken "in an abundance of caution," Disney said. The company says it's adding alligator warning signs around water at the resort.
"We are installing signage and temporary barriers at our resort beach locations and are working on permanent, long-term solutions at our beaches," said Jacquee Wahler, Vice President, Walt Disney World Resort. "We continue to evaluate processes and procedures for our entire property, and, as part of this, we are reinforcing training with our Cast for reporting sightings and interactions with wildlife and are expanding our communication to Guests on this topic."
Florida Fish and Wildlife trappers have already euthanized several alligators found in Seven Seas Lagoon.