Apartment fire in north Houston serves as a reminder to all

A loss for a family in north Houston is also a very serious reminder for the rest of us before turning on the heater for the coming cold season.

The north Houston family all got out of the apartment safely but as the pile of debris in front of their home shows they lost a number of belongings. The fire started around 10:30 last night. The family turned the heater on before going to bed, a few minutes later smoke started coming into the room.  A smoke detector woke them and they were able to call the fire department and get out without any injuries. When the firefighters arrived the apartment had flames in the attic.

Firefighters are hoping this will be a reminder to the rest of us to make sure to get heaters serviced and maintained before and during the winter season.