PEARLAND, Texas (FOX 26) - Food talk radio show host Cleverley Stone visits renowned chef Ronnie Killen and learns how to make a perfect burger at his newest restaurant venture, Killen's Burgers. He shares his preferred burger meat-to-fat ratio, uses salt to get a great sear and choosing the best bun option.
- For a nice crisp crust, use a cast iron skillet and get it as hot as possible. That’s what will give your burger a nice crisp crust, which gives it flavor and seals in the juices.
- Don’t pound the patty to flatten while cooking. You want to keep the juices in.
- The right bun is critical. You want it to hold up to the juiciness of the burger without it falling apart.
- Grill the bun with butter to keep the fat/juices from seeping into the bun.
- For ketchup, Chef Killen prefers Heinz or Whataburger ketchup, the latter of which he will be serving at Killen’s Burgers.