Orlando police confirm break-in at Pulse nightclub
ORLANDO, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - The Orlando Police Department says they are investigating a break-in at the Pulse nightclub, which happened sometime Thursday morning.
Authorities said the incident is believed to have happened before 3 a.m., when employees passed by the club and noticed a gate to the property was open. The employees noted that a gate to a patio at the front of the club was also open, but after a quick survey of the exterior of the building, they said nothing seemed unusual.
It was not until around 9 a.m., when the owner and staff returned to the club, that they noticed an exterior door that had been covered with plywood was open. It appeared the plywood had been removed with a prying tool.
"Since June 12, we have seen the worst and best of human behavior," said Pulse owner Barbara Poma. "We are disappointed that someone felt compelled to violate the privacy of our beloved Pulse Night Club and the sacred place it has now become."
Poma said she has faith in the police investigation of the break-in, adding that the club will continue to remain closed to the public.
Law enforcement on Wednesday released the nightclub in Orlando to its owner, just a month after it was the scene of the worst mass shooting in recent U.S. history. Officials with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement said that the agency and the Orlando Police Department have ended their control of the property. They said that the investigation by the FBI and the FDLE is continuing.
Gunman Omar Mateen opened fire at Pulse during "Latin Night" on June 12 in a rampage that left 49 victims dead and injured 53 people.
In a statement, Pulse owner Barbara Poma described it as a "bittersweet day." She says she can now make plans for the future of Pulse, though she said she is uncertain what those next steps will be.
This is a developing story. FOX 35 has a crew gathering more information and we will update this story as we learn more details.
Some information taken from the Associated Press.