SANTA FE, Texas - Authorities are searching for a monkey that reportedly escaped from an animal shelter in Santa Fe.
According to police, the animal has been terrorizing pets and other animals in the area.
The Bayou Animal Services said this is what people need to know and guidelines people should follow:
- Do not approach, chase or try and catch a primate if you have sighted said loose monkey.
- Take a picture and call animal control ASAP. The picture is to verify what type of monkey this is. Knowing the type will keep this monkey safe if it needs to be tranquilized.
- Do not go searching for the monkey. Extra people looking for this animal is going to cause a risk of someone getting hurt.
- A team that is certified in dealing with primates is on the ground now helping us locate the animal. Do not interfere. Do not attempt to help. They are professionals and know what they are doing.
- Please do not call animal control or the police station with false statements you yourself are unable to verify. This is not helpful to the authorities or to the animal.
Bayou Animal Services is asking people to allow the primate team to do their job and keep phone lines free in order for them to take actual verifiable reports.