Houston police officer shot; 1 of 4 suspects is still on the run

Image 1 of 4

A 29-year-old Houston police officer is in stable condition Friday after he was shot while chasing a suspect in a violent crime spree.

The officer was taken to the hospital in critical condition Thursday night and underwent surgery for several hours. Chief Art Acevedo says the officer remains hospitalized and is expected to recover.

Chief Acevedo says it is the result of a series of violent acts by four black males throughout southeast Houston late Thursday night.

It began around 9:56 p.m. at a Valero gas station on the 5800 block of Scott, where the suspects carjacked a 2003 Chevy Tahoe at gunpoint.

The Tahoe was abandoned at 6300 Tierwester because it ran out of gas, the owner of the car had still not pumped it when the suspects stole it. The suspects then ran off on foot.

Meantime, police officers arrived at the second scene on Tierwester Street at 10:02 p.m.

Around 10:10 p.m. a priest says he was approached by four black males at parking lot on the 3600-block of Meriburr Street. They are believed to be the same suspects at the original two scenes. 

“This priest has indicated he was on his knees praying for his life when one of the suspects pulled the trigger twice," Chief Acevedo says. "For whatever miraculous reason, the firearm did not discharge."

The men then beat the priest and took his cellphone.

Police say the suspects then approached a woman in an F-150 pickup truck in the 3700 block of Oden Court, knocked on her window with a pistol, robbed her and took her truck.

Authorities say several suspects got out of the vehicle near a shopping center on Tierwester.

In that area, officers saw a male suspect matching the general description.

Around 10:24 p.m. officers start chasing suspects running on foot. One of them was taken into custody.

Minutes later, another suspect was spotted running on Tristan near Scott. An officer gave chase and exchanged gunfire with the suspect.

That's when the 29-year-old officer was shot.

Then at least one officer exchanged gunfire with the armed suspect. He was shot and killed.

The officer was transported to Memorial Hermann Hospital by the Houston Fire Department.

Police say two suspects are in custody and one is still on the loose.

If you have any information, you are urged to call 911. The suspect is considered to be armed and dangerous.