6-hour standoff leaves deputy shot, man dead

Image 1 of 2

A gun fight in a Fort Bend County subdivision leaves a deputy shot and another man dead after a stand off that lasted for hours.

The Fort Bend County Sheriff’s deputy was hit by three different bullets, two unbelievably grazed his chin. The man who is said to have opened fire on deputies sparking a six-hour standoff was ultimately found dead inside his home.

Before officers swarmed the house in the Orchard Lakes Subdivision in Sugar Land, a frantic call came into 911 around 4:30 a.m. from a woman fearing for her life.  She told the dispatcher her son’s dad was after her with a gun. “And she stated that he was threatening to kill her,” says Fort Bend County Sheriff Troy Nehls.

Seven-year veteran Deputy J. Bulman and a training officer arrived at the house, and according to the Fort Bend County Sheriff’s Office, 41-year-old Serik Olivares opened fire on them.

"I heard about 10 or 12 gunshots,” explains neighbor Denise Johnson.

Deputy Bulman was shot in his calf and grazed twice in his chin.  Olivares’ father was able to escape the house but the gunman’s mother and his 2-year-old son were still inside as SWAT swarmed the home. 

"I saw the policemen come out with large guns, you know the kind with the big strap they put across themselves and they started running this way,” adds Johnson.

After several hours, the mother and 2-year-old left the house safely.  Then tear gas was fired through the windows. 

“The bangs you heard about a half hour ago were gas canisters that were deployed inside the residence hoping that would get his attention and bring him outside,” Sheriff Nehls explains.  However, the man never surrendered.  Investigators say he killed himself there inside the home on Lakeridge Canyon Drive.

"It’s not good. That was my brother man.  He was just going through some emotional things, just dealt with them the wrong way,” says long time friend Aamil Aziz.

Deputy Bulman is expected to make a full recovery.