HEMPSTEAD CO., Ark. (FOX 26) - The "Maleah Davis Memorial Bridge" is now closer to reality.
The Arkansas Highway Commission unanimously approved the proposal to rename a Hempstead County bridge, known as the Red Lake Road overpass at Exit 18 on Interstate 30, in the 4-year old's honor on Wednesday.
Maleah's remains were found on the side of a highway in Arkansas on May 31, weeks after an Amber Alert was issued.
Since her remains were found, the Hempstead community has honored her with a makeshift memorial filled with balloon, signs and teddy bears.
The Hempstead County Sheriff says the new signs at each end of the bridge won't cost the county anything, thanks to donations.
- Maleah Davis' father, Craig Davis, shares emotional tribute
- Why there is no murder charge in Maleah Davis case, according to police
- ‘I just want to find my baby’: Mom, grandmother of Maleah Davis speak out
- Car reported stolen in Maleah Davis case found in Missouri City parking lot
- New search locations after conflicting stories from Maleah Davis' stepfather
This story was reported on from Houston, Texas.