HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Chefs Julia Sharaby and David Grossman, co-owners of Fusion Taco on North Main Street in Houston, share some innovative ideas for leftover Thanksgiving turkey, sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce.
With help from FOX 26 News segment contributor Cleverley Stone, Sharaby and Grossman prepare a cranberry margarita, cranberry salsa and a turkey and sweet potato hash taco. Her secret ingredient brings out the best flavor in these dishes while Grossman crafts the delicious cocktail with leftover cranberry sauce.
Recipes provided by Chef Julia Sharaby and Chef David Grossman
Julia’s Incredible Cranberry Salsa
- 2 cups leftover cranberry sauce, your choice of homemade or store bought
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ½ teaspoons powdered cumin (this is the secret ingredient!)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Juice of one lime
- (Optional) 1 diced jalapeno or serrano, depending on how hot you want the salsa
- Combine ingredients and serve with crispy corn tortilla chips, on a turkey sandwich, in a turkey salad, etc. Refrigerate leftovers salsa.
Turkey & Sweet Potato Hash Taco
- 1 ½ cups leftover turkey, diced
- ¾ cup leftover sweet potatoes
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion
- 2 cup chopped garlic ½ teaspoon powered cumin (this is the secret ingredient :)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon chopped serrano pepper
- Optional: ¼ cup white wine Garnish: pico de gallo, sliced avocado, cilantro, sliced onions Salt to taste
- Sauté onion, garlic and serrano (if used) in olive oil.
- If adding the wine, it will give the vegetables a sweet acidity. Add the wine during the sauté process and allow 2-3 minutes of sautéing to burn off the alcohol.
- Stir in the cumin and salt to the sauté mixture.
- Gently fold diced turkey and sweet potatoes into the mixture. Heat through.
- Make your taco on a corn or flour tortilla. Add pico de gallo, sliced avocado, cilantro & onion. The world is your oyster with this taco!
- 2 ounces your favorite gold or silver tequila
- 1 ounces triple sec
- ¾ ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce leftover cranberry sauce (jellied cranberry sauce works best for this)
- Ice cubes
- (Garnish) brown sugar or salt, orange twist
- Add all ingredients, including ice cubes, to a cocktail shaker cup. Shake ingredients together briskly until well blended. Pour into margarita glass, with ice in it or not.
- Note: If not using jellied cranberry sauce, strain the liquid into margarita glass.
- Garnish glass with brown sugar or salt, and an orange twist. How to garnish glass with sugar or salt: place some granulated sugar or salt on a plate. Wet rim of glass with water. Dip wet rim of glass into the sugar or salt and it will stick to the wet rim.