KATY, Texas (FOX 26) - Dish Society is one of the newest restaurants in Katy, Texas, offering casual, chef-inspired farm-to-table dishes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch. Chef Ulises Lopez shows food journalist and radio talk show host Cleverley Stone how to make one of his most popular dishes -- avocado with red quinoa and citrus vinaigrette dressing. Director of operations Trent Patterson explains why the restaurant is called Dish Society. Listen to Cleverley's food talk radio program every Saturday from 9 a.m. until 12 p.m. on CBS Sports Radio 650.
Quinoa relish with citrus vinaigrette
Yields four servings (4 ounces each)
For quinoa relish
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup roasted corn pico
- 1 oz citrus vinaigrette
For citrus vinaigrette
- 1 oz fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice, strained
- 1 oz fresh-squeezed orange juice, strained
- 1 oz fresh-squeezed lime juice, strained
- 1 oz fresh-squeezed lemon juice, strained
1 oz olive oil
.5 oz red wine vinegar
.5 oz honey
- In a medium sauce pan, combine quinoa, water and vinegar and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork and let cool. Set aside.
- Prepare dressing by combining juices, olive oil, vinegar, honey and salt and whisk vigorously until emulsified (oil and juice no longer separate).
- To make relish, combine cooked quinoa with 1 cup roast corn pico and 1 oz citrus vinaigrette and toss to combine (reserve extra dressing for another use).
- Serve packed in avocado halves with salad greens as we do in the restaurant, as a side with your holiday meal or over sautéed salmon or chicken as a quick, protein-packed weekday meal.