HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Recipes provided by Elizabeth Stone, founder of Silver Stone Events
'Green' Eggs and Ham Cups
Makes 6 cups
- 8 slices of white bread
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, soften or melted
- ¼ cup diced ham
- ¼ cup grated Swiss cheese or Monterrey Jack
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon of diced fresh herbs (chives, basil, parsley etc)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Generously grease the muffin pan with butter. Use a regular size muffin tin (not mini). Use a 4” round cookie cutter and cut the bread into 8 circles.
- Cut each round in half. With the palm of your hand or a rolling pin, flatten out the bread.
- Place the 2 bread halves into each cup.
- Place the straight side down and press into the cup. If there is a gap at the bottom, use another small piece of bread to over the hole.
- Place 2 teaspoons of ham and 2 teaspoons of cheese in each cup.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the eggs and half and half.
- Stir in diced herbs.
- Pour egg mixture into each cup to about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until mixture is set.
- Serve warm with sour cream.
Banana Walnut Pancakes
Makes 8 – 12 pancakes
- 2 cups Pancake mix in a box (original or just add water)
- 3 bananas, sliced
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts
- Mix pancake mix according to package instructions.
- Stir in bananas and walnuts.
- Let batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- Lightly grease griddle or skillet with butter.
- Pour ¼ cup batter onto griddle and cook until batter starts to bubble.
- Flip pancake over and cook until golden brown.
- Serve warm with powdered sugar and maple syrup.
Strawberry Pop Tarts
Makes 8 pop tarts
- 1 box refrigerated pie dough
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, tops removed and sliced thin
- 1 jar of strawberry jam or preserves
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Powdered sugar
- Remove pie dough from box and unfold.
- Place on a floured surface and roll out each dough piece to be approximately a 12” by 10” rectangle.
- Cut the dough in half on the short side to you have two long pieces of dough.
- Cut each long piece into four equal parts. You should end up with 8 pieces of approximately 5” by 3” pieces from each sheet.
- Place 8 pieces of dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Place 1 tablespoon of strawberry preserves in the middle of each piece of dough.
- Top with 4 slices of strawberry.
- Mix together egg and water.
- Using a brush, brush the egg mixture around the edges of the piece of dough on the baking sheet.
- Top with second piece of dough.
- Press the edges of the dough together with your fingers to seal and follow by pressing with the tines of a fork.
- Use a toothpick and or fork and poke a few air holes in the center of each tart.
- Freeze pop tarts for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove pop tarts from freezer and bake until golden brown for about 15-to-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Fruitini with Fresh Mint
- 6 cups of assorted cut fruits (bananas, melons, berries, grapes, oranges)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon mint minced
- Mix together powdered sugar, lime juice and mint.
- Place all fruit in a mixing bowl just before serving.
- Toss with sugar and lime mixture.
- Serve fruit in martini glasses and garnish with fresh mint leaves.