Houston Councilman Larry Green death a combination of chloroethane and methamphetamine

- Autopsy results have determined that Houston city councilman Larry Green's death was an accident. Green was discovered dead in his home on Tuesday, March 6. He was 52 years old. Green's family released this statement: 

“We have just been made aware of the Harris County Medical Examiner’s Office autopsy results. Our family is still in shock and grief over Larry’s death. While learning the information we have about the circumstances of his passing is painful, it does not change the fact that Larry was a wonderful, caring person and a dedicated public servant for the people of Houston. Our family is grateful for the outpouring of love and support we have received, and we ask for privacy during this difficult time."

On Behalf of the Family, Christine Willie, First Cousin

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has also released a statement about the autopsy results:

“Larry Green served honorably as a Houston city councilman. He fought to improve the community and open the doors of opportunity for people who shared his vision for equality, economic opportunity and safe neighborhoods. 

"The autopsy results do not diminish the great work he did for the people of District K. However, it does remind us that our actions have consequences. 

"I hope everyone will continue to celebrate his life instead of focusing on his death. I was not aware of any substance abuse issues Councilman Green may have struggled with in his personal life. At city hall, he was a leader and focused on serving his district.  

"His death reminds us of the importance of checking on our loved ones, friends and colleagues. 

"Councilman Green was a dedicated public servant who promoted economic development, planted trees, supported art and increased the number of projects throughout his district.

"That is how I will choose to remember him. More than anything, I ask people to continue to pray for his family, who must deal with his death every single day.”
 

“This has stolen our council member from us," said councilman Michael Kubosh. “All of us expected maybe an aneurysm or heart attack, you know, that’s what we thought.”

In District K, where Green served and continues to be remembered, news of the autopsy results devastating an already sad community.

“It’s still hard to take because we just knew Larry," said an emotional Carolyne Oliver who lives in District K.

"Whatever the reason was that Larry did what he did, those drugs that were in his system, we just have to forgive that and remember what the person did for the community because we will never forget; never forget his spirit because he was just us," said Oliver.

Tricia Rudisill Bentley, the Public Information Officer for the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences

released this information about the cause of death for former Houston City Councilman Larry Green:

The cause and manner of death for former Councilman Larry Green is as follows:

Manner: Accident

Cause: Combined toxicity of chloroethane and methamphetamine

Description of substances found in his system :

Chloroethane (ethyl chloride) is an organic solvent that is found in aerosol (spray can) preparations.  It has been used as a solvent, refrigerant, local anesthetic and in the manufacture of various other chemical compounds.  It is sold in spray cans as a “cleaning solvent” under the trade names Black Max or Maximum Impact; these sprays are often inhaled because the vapor causes a sense of drunkenness and relaxation.  At higher concentrations, inhalation can be fatal.   There is no safe “dose” of chloroethane, and no way to predict how much inhalant has been taken in during a “use.” 

Methamphetamine is a stimulant that is commonly known as “meth,” or “speed.”  Methamphetamine has direct effects on the body to produce a sense of excited elation.  But that euphoric feeling is accompanied by direct toxic effects on the brain and on the heart.  Street preparations of methamphetamine are unpredictable in their concentration of active compound, and are considered dangerous and potentially lethal at any concentration. 

 

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

More from FOX 26 Houston