Carbon monoxide sends 40 employees to the hospital

More than three dozen employees were taken to the hospital after showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning at a food distribution center.

Employees were evacuated late Monday afternoon and 911 emergency services called after employees reported symptoms including dizziness at Hardie's Fresh Foods processing facility in southeast Houston. Forty employees were taken to the hospital as a precaution.

"We are happy to report that everyone one of our dedicated employees are well,” said Tony Stachurski, Division President of Hardie’s Houston. “The health and safety of our people is our number one priority. Additionally, we called in an industrial hygienist to test the facility thoroughly, ensuring the processing room and warehouse is certified safe before our folks return to work.”

The Houston Fire Department responded to the call in the 3000 block of Produce Row. Officials say the food distribution center showed elevated levels of carbon monoxide. The fire department says the cause was found to be exhaust from an outside contractor running equipment in an enclosed area. 

Fire department crews ventilated the area with electric fans.

Hardie's says the Houston Department of Health and Human Services Environmental Health Division/Consumer Health Services conducted an assessment and gave the all clear with no corrective actions.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

More from FOX 26 Houston