AARP offers free tax help nationwide

 AARP Foundation offers free, individualized tax preparation for low-to moderate-income taxpayers - especially those 60 and older - at more than 5,000 locations nationwide .Click here to find a location near you:

After you've found an AARP Foundation Tax-Aide site, you will need to bring the following documents with you:    
  • Government issued identification
  • Last year's tax return
  • Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents
  • Checkbook or pre-printed direct deposit information for your reloadable prepaid card showing routing number and direct deposit account number if you want to do a direct deposit of any refund(s).

W-2 from each employer Unemployment
  • compensation statements
  • SSA-1099 form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits
  • 1099 forms reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
  • 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity, especially if you had a portion withheld for income tax purposes
  • 1099-MISC form showing any miscellaneous income
You will need to bring all forms and canceled checks indicating federal and state income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments).

Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information:

  • 1098 form showing any home mortgage interest
  • Receipts or canceled checks for medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), receipts for prescription medicines, costs of assisted living services and bills for home improvements, such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities
  • Receipts for contributions to charity
  • Receipts or canceled checks for all tax income and property taxes you paid, as well as records of tax refunds

  • Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID or Social Security number)
  • Receipts, canceled checks or 1099 forms related to continuing education
Affordable Care Act (ACA) Information

Be sure to bring relevant documents with you to prove you are in compliance with the ACA. You will need one of the following:
        Documentation proving health care coverage for you, your spouse and all your dependents Information
  • indicating that you were covered for at least nine months of the year
  • Form 1095-A (which you will receive by Jan. 31, 2015) if you purchased insurance through the Marketplace/Exchange
  • Documentation of a Health Care Exemption received from the IRS or the Marketplace/EExchange

    ore information is available on the AARP website

Up Next:

  • Popular

  • Recent

More from FOX 26 Houston