7-year-old Fort Bend County boy survives electrocution

-  At the Lakes of Bella Terra subdivision, a tent marked the spot of what proved to be a trap -- an electrical box, seemingly harmless, common place, but with the capacity to kill in a matter of seconds.

It was midmorning when a 7-year-old boy, without thought of danger, hopped atop the box only to be jarred by life-threatening electricity.

"The father saw the son on top of that box and was able to pull him off that box. Of course, they began CPR," said Ft. Ben County Sheriff Troy Nehls.

Nehls says the boy was taken by Life Flight helicopter to Memorial Hermann Medical Center for emergency treatment.

"Last update I received is that he is breathing on his own, thank goodness. Thoughts and prayers are with that family. You know who would have ever thought?" said Nehls.

Amid afternoon rain showers investigators isolated the scene until electricians could neutralize the threat and offer expert opinion as to what went wrong.

For rattled residents the sheer randomness of the near lethal accident was truly troubling.

"Just walking by and he touched the box and got electrocuted, so it's really scary. People be aware with that and any other box," said Gloria Sampson, a Lakes of Bella Terra resident.

CenterPoint Energy has posted safety tips for dealing with electricity. Click here to view the information.

Up Next:


  • Popular

  • Recent

More from FOX 26 Houston