Chef Ronnie Killen, who already owns and operates three popular restaurants in Pearland, has expanded into Houston with the KIllen's STQ concept. He shares his culinary tricks for preparing his legendary creamed cord with help from FOX 26 News contributor Cleverley Stone.
Killen’s barbecue creamed corn
- 8 ears of corn
- 1 cup cream
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- ¼ cup sugar (can use more or less, depending on corn sweetness)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste (Chef Killen uses Himalayan Pink Salt)
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- Shuck corn and cut corn kernels off cobs.
- In large pot, bring milk and cream to a simmer. Cut cobs in half and add to liquid to infuse for about 30 minutes.
- In a separate pan, melt butter and add corn kernels. Sauté corn kernels over low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Remove cobs from milk/cream mixture and scrape off all milk. Discard cobs.
- Transfer milk/cream mixture to a blender or food processor. Add ¼ of the sautéed corn to milk/cream mixture and blend until smooth.
- Add blended mixture to the rest of the corn and simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Transfer creamed corn to a casserole dish. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano and broil until cheese begins to brown. Serve immediately.