Chef Jorge Valencia, partner in LMN Hospitality, joined by FOX 26 News food segment contributor and food talk radio show host Cleverley Stone, demonstrates how to prepare some easy dishes for Christmas day.
On Christmas morning, you'll want to try an easy breakfast casserole with hash brown potatoes, eggs and bacon. You can substitute the meat for sausage or ground beef, or leave it out for a vegetarian casserole. The best part? You can make this dish in advance and then pop it in the oven when you are ready to eat. See the recipe below. For lunch, a hardy steak sandwich is sure to please.
Valencia shows how to get the perfect sear on a steak and then pop it in the oven to finish it. For all day snacking, the Green Christmas Queso and chips is a perfect option.
Breakfast Casserole for Christmas Morning
Chef Brandi Key, LMN Hospitality
You will need a 9 x 13 Pyrex casserole dish. The recipe make eight portions.
- One bag of Frozen Hash Brown Potatoes
- One stick of Unsalted Butter
- One bag of Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- One package of Cooked Bacon, cut into 1/4” pieces
- 18 Whole Eggs, beaten until smooth
- 2 teaspoons of Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Break up the frozen hash browns and place them in a 9 x 13 Pyrex casserole dish. Cut up the unsalted butter into pieces and place on top of the hash browns. Place the dish in the oven and cook for 30 minutes until the potatoes are hot and beginning to brown.
- Once the hash browns are cooked, remove them from the oven and reduce the heat to 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle three-quarters of the shredded cheese evenly over the potatoes then sprinkle on the bacon.
- Add the salt and pepper to the eggs and whisk to combine then pour the mixture over the potatoes, cheese, and bacon.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the eggs.
- Place the casserole into the 350 degree oven and cook for 30-35 minutes rotating the dish half way through cooking.
- Remove the casserole from the oven when the eggs are just set and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- *This casserole can be made a day before and reheated as needed to serve.
Green Chile Queso Blanco
Chef Jorge Valencia, LMN Hospitality
You will need one large slow cooker.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 box Velveeta Queso Blanco
- 1 cup Water
- 1 jar Herdez Green Salsa
- 1 bag Tortilla Chips
- Place the ground beef in a skillet and brown meat until it is just cooked through and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the Velveeta and water in a microwave proof bowl and microwave for one minute until the cheese begins to melt. Microwave for an additional minute if needed.
- Place the Velveeta and green salsa in a large slow cooker set on low. Top the mixture with the ground beef and cover with the lid. Allow the queso to sit for one hour on low to melt completely and warm through.
- Turn the slow cooker to warm and serve with tortilla chips.