HOUSTON (FOX 26) — After Thanksgiving, it’s all about the sandwiches. Harold Kelly from Melange Events, with help from FOX 26 News segment contributor and food talk radio show host Cleverley Stone, shares some delicious sandwich recipes for those 'turkey day' leftovers. Kelly demonstrates how to prepare a turkey grilled cheese sandwich using waffles made from stuffing, a banh mi turkey sandwich and a pumpkin pie ice cream sandwich.
Leftover Stuffing Waffle Grilled Cheese
- 2 scoops leftover stuffing mix
- 2 giant spoonfuls mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoons cranberry jelly
- 2 slices Wisconsin muenster
- Make the stuffing waffles. Add the wet stuffing mixture into a non-stick sprayed waffle press and let it cook for a few cycles until it starts to firm up. They need more time than regular waffles and can sometimes use a little butter to help them crisp up.
- After they start to get crispy and golden, open the waffle press and let them sit for a few minutes in so they can firm up.
- Add the mashed potatoes to one side of the waffle and the cranberry jam onto the other waffle.
- Add the rest of the cheese to the middle and close the sandwich. If your stuffing is already buttery, then you don't add anymore butter. If it could use some help, butter it up, and set aside.
- In a medium-sized pan, add the sandwich and cook for a few minutes on each side until the cheese starts to melt and the outside of the sandwich has gotten crispy.
- Remove from heat, let it set for a second and enjoy!
Turkey Vietnamese Banh Mi
- Chilled cooked leftover turkey
- Asian chili sauce
- Thinly sliced peeled cucumber
- Grated carrot
- Generous handful of fresh cilantro
- Whole-wheat baguette
- Jalapeño chiles, sliced, if desired
1. Chop chilled cooked turkey, and mix with mayonnaise spiked with Asian chile sauce.
2. Layer turkey with thinly sliced peeled cucumber, grated carrot, and a generous handful of fresh
cilantro inside a whole-wheat baguette. Add more heat with sliced jalapeño chiles if desired.
Leftover Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Filling from a leftover pumpkin pie
- Graham crackers
- Softened vanilla ice cream
- Scoop out filling from a leftover pumpkin pie.
- Spread on a graham cracker.
- Top with softened vanilla ice cream and another graham cracker.
- Freeze until firm.