HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Muffalotta (Serves 2 to 4)
Dominic B. Mandola, Ragin' Cajun Restaurant executive chef/owner
- One 8-inch round muffalotta bread
- Six slices Genoa Salami
- Four slices Provolone cheese
- Six slices ham
- ½ ounce Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- Two ounces fresh grated Romano cheese
- Eight ounces Sicilian olive Schiacciate mix
To prepare Sicilian olive Schiacciate mix, follow these directions:
- Drain all liquid found in the Italian olive salad jar.
- Measure eight ounces of Italian olive salad.
- Add three ounces of virgin olive oil and one tablespoon of dried oregano.
- Mix thoroughly.
Visit your local bakery, Whole Foods, Eatzi’s or Central Market to find eight-inch Muffalotta bread. Use only an Italian Olive salad to create the Olive mix, which can be found in most grocery stores.
- Cut the eight-inch muffalotta bread into two pieces horizontal. On the top piece, spread ½ ounce Miracle Whip (Miracle Whip is a binder to keep the Romano cheese on bread, not too much Miracle Whip) and then top Miracle Whip off with two ounces of fresh grated Romano cheese. Make sure the Romano cheese is spread throughout the bread. Set aside.
- Take the bottom piece of muffalotta bread and place the six slices of Genoa Salami to cover all of bread. Next, put the four slices of Provolone cheese on top of Genoa salami and the six slices of ham on top of the Provolone cheese.
- Keeping the top and bottom of the sandwich separately, place in oven at 350 degrees for six to seven minutes until the Provolone cheese melts and the Romano cheese browns.
- Once ready to remove from the oven, add all the Sicilian olive Schiacciate mix on top of the ham and spread.
- Put the other piece of bread on top. Cut into four pieces. Serve and enjoy!