1. What was your first job?
I was a hostess at a restaurant in Pasadena, CA. The most famous guy who came in was Matthew Lillard! I took care of his takeout order and tried to joke with him. He laughed politely, but you just knew he was thinking “Can I leave now?”
2. What motivates you to work hard?
My family. I lost my dad and brother last year, so my sisters and mom are all I have left. I work hard to make sure I can help them out. I also work hard because I love what I do. Journalism can be powerful and change policy as well as lives for the better.
3. What is the best gift you have been given?
One year, for my birthday, someone gave me 5 pounds of bacon. I was pretty happy with that.
4. What really makes you angry?
When people kick the back of my chair in the movie theater! And in airplanes! How can they not see that there’s someone sitting in front of them? I could go on.
5. Who was your childhood crush?
Who was everyone’s crush in the ‘90s? Jonathan Taylor Thomas!
6. What makes you laugh the most?
Classic Simpsons quotes. So good.
7. What was the last movie you went to? What did you think?
Jurassic World. LOVED IT! But I like anything with dinosaurs.
8. What is your favorite game or sport to watch and play?
Football and basketball!
9. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Burritos. Where can I find the most delicious one in Houston?
10. Have you ever had a nickname? What is it?
A lot of my friends call me Chenny-Chen-Chen. One in particular calls me Chenipede.
11. Who is your favorite author?
Just one? You can’t just have one! I love Margaret Atwood, and I think one of the most inventive books ever written is The Blind Assassin. I also love W. Somerset Maugham’s works.
12. If you were a super-hero, what powers would you have?
Teleportation, hands down. Think how much faster I would be at covering the news! Also, think of all the food from different countries you could eat in a day!
13. What's your favorite zoo animal?
The tiger! Always the tiger.
14. What's the longest you've gone without sleep (and why)?
The longest I’ve gone without sleep was in college. I’d procrastinate and put off studying until the last minute…which meant regular all-nighters before an exam. But weren’t we all like that?
15. Is your glass half full or half empty?
My glass is half full. I am the eternal optimist, which can be hard to maintain as a news reporter, but you have to see the good in every situation!
16. What's your favorite holiday?
Halloween and Christmas. Candy and ham! Sometimes, candied ham!
17. What was the last thing you recorded on TV?
Well, FOX 26 News at 9, of course. (Seriously, though.)
18. What was the last book you read?
Last book that I read was An Ember in the Ashes, by Sabaa Tahir. You might not know it now (as of 8/3/15) but you will when the movie comes out!
19. What's your favorite type of foreign food?
Taiwanese food. It’s underappreciated!
20. What's your favorite fast food chain?
Del Taco and In ‘N’ Out. We don’t have any of those here in Houston. (Sigh.)
21. Do you love or hate rollercoasters?
Love! The faster and twistier, the better.
22. What was your favorite subject in school?
English! I’m usually the resident grammar police. But a really timid one who won’t correct you unless you’re in an OK mood that day.
23. What's the most unusual thing you've ever eaten?
I’ve eaten a cricket before. It tasted like fried nothingness.
24. Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
Both. I’m pretty outgoing and usually love chatting it up with anyone, but some nights, I like to go home with too much takeout and binge on a Simpsons marathon (and the takeout).
25. What is one of your favorite songs?
Hotel California. The lyrics are so complex and vivid; it tells a story and can be interpreted several ways. I’ve always loved and appreciated it.
26. What three things do you think of the most each day?
“What are my dogs doing?” “What’s for lunch?” and “Can this person I want to interview call me back already?”